Internationally travelling couples

The following institutions and networks support internationally travelling scientists who either come from Germany or are interested in research activities in Germany. The list does not claim to be complete.

Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung (AvH)

The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation promotes academic cooperation between foreign and German researchers. It grants fellowships and awards to researchers who come to Germany. In addition, the Foundation supports scientists from Germany in their research projects abroad.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs offers information on entry, visa regulations, residence regulations and a lot of helpful information on working and researching in Germany.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

The Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs provides comprehensive information on the German labour market and on issues of labour law or protection. It is also responsible for social security issues in Germany and provides information on these issues.

In addition, the Ministry provides an information platform at, which provides information on living and working in Germany.

Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)

The Federal Ministry of Education and Research supports Europe-wide research exchange and provides information on its website about various initiatives and networks that promote this exchange.

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is the world’s largest funding organisation for the international exchange of students and scientists. Here you will find comprehensive information on funding opportunities, scholarships and return programmes.

German Research Council (DFG)

Europe’s largest research funding organisation serves the scientific community by providing financial support for research tasks and promoting cooperation between researchers. Funding includes individual grants, coordinated programmes, scientific prizes and international activities.


The national information and advice centre offers internationally mobile researchers information on funding opportunities, job offers and other mobility topics. Under the heading Dual Career you will find information on Dual Career Services in Germany.

German Academic International Network (GAIN)

The network, based in New York, supports German scientists in North America who would like to find out about opportunities to continue their careers in Germany and Europe. In addition to information and regional activities, the network organizes annual conferences alternately on the west and east coast of the USA. These conferences are attended by renowned players*, institutions and universities in the German higher education landscape. The scientists* have the opportunity to inform themselves about return possibilities and to establish valuable contacts in lectures, workshops and at a fair (Talent Fair).

German Scholars Organization e.V. (GSO)

The GSO, based in San Francisco and Berlin, was founded in 2003 by German scientists and company representatives*. The aim of the GSO is to network German researchers living abroad, to arouse their interest in working in Germany and to pave their way back to Germany. In this way, the GSO strengthens Germany as a location for science and industry, counteracts the shortage of skilled workers in Germany and promotes the international exchange of scientists and ideas in the sense of “brain circulation”.

Das Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)

The HERC is an association of over 700 colleges, universities and research institutions in the USA. The consortium’s website provides access to current job opportunities in US academic institutions. For dual career couples, the job search on the website also offers special search tools to find jobs in the same region.